Class Action Lawsuits
Proudly Serving the People of North & South Carolina
Class action lawsuits are often the only recourse to individuals victimized by corporate or other institutions wrong doing.
Consumer class actions encompass a broad range of disputes that seek monetary or injunctive relief for the misconduct of such entities as banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies, automobile dealerships, manufacturers, healthcare providers, telecommunication services and governmental entities. These parties routinely adopt policies, enter into standard form contracts or otherwise engage in uniform transactions which affect large groups of individuals in the same or similar ways. The uniformity of a defendant’s treatment to the class members gives rise to common issues among them. These common features often render a class action the most efficient means to resolve a dispute.
Additionally, most situations where misconduct targets a large group of individuals do not justify bringing individual cases. Given the unfortunate realities of the costs of litigation, individual lawsuits are not economically viable unless a minimum of tens of thousands of dollars are the issue.
Our attorneys have represented thousands of consumers and taxpayers in class actions against banks, corporations, insurance companies and governmental entities. Types of cases we have handled include:
- Lawsuits against the State of North Carolina on behalf of retirees to recover benefits;
- Prosecution of class actions against major North Carolina hospitals for overcharging uninsured patients;
- Class actions for credit card holders and consumers against banks and other lenders for unlawful and deceptive practices;
- Shareholder and derivative actions to recover investment losses;
- Representation of class claimants against manufacturers for property damage caused by defective products;
- Class actions against national production builders for construction defects.
While Class actions are not well-suited for all controversies, in many circumstances they can be an indispensable tool in protecting consumers and discouraging corporate misconduct. A class action usually demands a commitment of vast financial and other resources. Before pursuing a case as a class action, our firm carefully analyzes the suitability and advantages of this approach.
If you believe your situation may satisfy the requirements for a class action, we would be pleased to explore this option with you.